From: Joby Walker <zorloc@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Re: Gentoo build server
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 22:17:38
1 Sancho2k.net Lists wrote:
2 > Joby Walker said:
3 >>1) I forgot to mention that currently baselayout cannot be packaged, it
4 >>must be "built" on each server. Annoying but not a huge deal, since the
5 >>ebuild is mostly file swaping.
8 > Good to know. Not too big a deal, I guess. What is the reason for this, if
9 > I may ask? I see every server of any given particular architecture all
10 > having the same "base layout", but I'm sure I'm looking at it at too high
11 > a level.
12
13 It is a defunction in portage and the methodology of the package. There
14 are a couple bug report monitoring this. The portage developers promise
15 that eventually base layout will be package safe.
16
17 > ---How to handle the baselayout defunction--
18
19 Actually it is easier than you suspect. As long as you don't create a
20 baselayout package, when you "emerge -k world" or "emerge -g world"
21 portage will use all of the binary packages you have created and will
22 build baselayout normally. If you run "emerge -pk ...", portage will
23 label tell you whether each piece of software is going to be installed
24 via binary or ebuild.
25
26 >>2) Not running 'emerge sync' from each server is actually harmful to the
27 >>server. You might be able to use 'emerge regen' to mitigate most of
28 >>this, but I haven't investigated it that fully (since I switched from
29 >>NFS /usr/portage to a BINHOST).
30 >
31 > Any chance you could expand on this more? It's starting to sound like it
32 > may be more difficult than expected to maintain a central portage/package
33 > source for all of our servers.
36 An "emerge sync" runs a lot of maintenance on the /var/db/pkg and
37 /var/cache/edb directories. As packages are relabeled or recategorized,
38 "emerge sync" re-orgs your /var caches to reflect the new structure. If
39 this maintenance doesn't happen you will start getting dependancy errors
40 when trying to install a package. This happened to me with Perl.
41
42 >>Trust me the BINHOST method works much better than /usr/portage shared
43 >>over NFS.
46 > Thanks for this advice. I feel much better about BINHOST than I did NFS
47 > anyway.
48 >
49 > Which protocols are supported for BINHOST sources? rsync, http, ftp?
52 I think just ftp and http right now. I'm using apache.
53
54 jbw