From: Joby Walker <zorloc@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] deployment server over NFS, feedback
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 18:35:31
1 *Significantly* more software would be installed by default, including
2 software that you might not want installed. But if you are going to
3 maintain your own packages then it is best to have things standardized
4 -- only one "version" (compiled by a single source) of a software
5 package should be installed. Stage2 vs. Stage1 allows you to skip the
6 bootstrapping script that takes a long time and does not support
7 pre-compiled packages (-b or -g).
8
9 jbw
10
11 Sancho2k.net Lists wrote:
12
13 > Joby Walker said:
16 >>>A Pentium3 live CD should work just fine on a Pentium4, if I understand
17 >>>your question.
18 >>
19 >>I agree. And I would recommend installing the stage2 .tbz2 instead of
20 >>stage1 and bootstrapping. You can always do a deep emerge from your
21 >>package base to replace the Live CD software with your standardized
22 >>packages.
25 > What would be the effect of using a stage3 rather than stage2, in this case?
26 >
27 > DS