From: "Sancho2k.net Lists" <lists@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] deployment server over NFS, feedback
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 22:29:13
1 > Sancho2k.net Lists wrote:
2 >
3 >> Joby Walker said:
6 >>>>A Pentium3 live CD should work just fine on a Pentium4, if I understand
7 >>>>your question.
8 >>>
9 >>>I agree. And I would recommend installing the stage2 .tbz2 instead of
10 >>>stage1 and bootstrapping. You can always do a deep emerge from your
11 >>>package base to replace the Live CD software with your standardized
12 >>>packages.
13
14 One thing that we've ran into is that at least one package so far won't
15 emerge/update under our plan. Our "plan" was to NFS export /usr/portage
16 out from our master server which would then be mounted on all other Gentoo
17 servers. The mount is read only to ensure that another admin doesn't for
18 example delete /usr/portage, or emerge sync before we determine it should
19 be done, or whatever.
20
21 Now we are at the point with our first test installation using this plan
22 that we are running an emerge system to build the system after a stage2
23 tarball has been used to create another server. The update is getting to
24 sys-apps/baselayout and bailing out because the file /usr/portage/.keep
25 cannot be written (read-only filesystem).
26
27 Have we run into an inherent flaw in our system by assuming that packages
28 should never need to write to /usr/portage? Is baselayout the only one
29 that does this? What is the purpose of the .keep file? The version in
30 question is baselayout-1.8.6.13.
31
32 TIA,
33