From: "Michael Stewart (vericgar)" <vericgar@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Re: Re: Re: Ideas for a server profile?
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 02:34:36
1 MIkey wrote:
2 >
3 > Actually, if you emerge mod_php (yeah, I know, bad example) before emerging
4 > apache, and apache2 is in your USE flags, it will emerge apache2 as a
5 > dependency. So it does, in effect, install apache2. Depending on the
6 > order you emerge packages, of course. I have not researched it, but it
7 > would probably do the same thing for various webapps that use php.
8
9 This is exactly the intended behavior. Try this sequence of commands
10 with the apache2 USE-flag disabled.
11
12 emerge php
13 (installs apache-1.3 and mod_php)
14
15 emerge --update --deep world
16 (--deep required as apache was installed via php, so isn't in world -
17 now you have apache-1.3, apache-2.0, and mod_php, with mod_php only
18 working with apache-1.3)
19
20 yes, apache-1.3 and apache-2.0 are in different slots, but portage
21 doesn't limit upgrades to the slot - it will see the 2.0 as a newer
22 better apache and install it as well (all the slot does in the case of
23 the upgrade is keep the old version around as well)
24
25 This is why if you disable the apache2 USE-flag you need to also mask
26 out apache-2.0 - otherwise, updates become unintuitive.
27
28 I am not against removing the USE-flag as long as apache-2.0 is masked
29 out, but I highly doubt this is what anybody wants, as it becomes even
30 more complicated to now use apache-2.0.
31
32 Also, if apache-2.0 is masked, many of the add-on modules would need to
33 be masked out as well. It becomes a nightmare to manage all this (trust
34 me, I've been there, being the apache maintainer!)
37 Michael Stewart vericgar@g.o
38 Gentoo Developer http://dev.gentoo.org/~vericgar
39
40 GnuPG Key ID 0x08614788 available on http://pgp.mit.edu