From: MIkey <mikey@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Re: Re: Re: Re: Ideas for a server profile?
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 03:53:56
1 Michael Stewart (vericgar) wrote:
2
3 > I am not against removing the USE-flag as long as apache-2.0 is masked
4 > out, but I highly doubt this is what anybody wants, as it becomes even
5 > more complicated to now use apache-2.0.
6 >
7 > Also, if apache-2.0 is masked, many of the add-on modules would need to
8 > be masked out as well. It becomes a nightmare to manage all this (trust
9 > me, I've been there, being the apache maintainer!)
10
11 I am in no way suggesting that apache-2.0 should be masked!
12
13 What I am suggesting is that anyone who installs a server needs to know what
14 the heck they are doing, and set up their own system for apache1 -vs-
15 apache2 (or lighthttpd or zope or aolserver or whatever) _after_ the
16 initial system install.
17
18 Call me a purist, non system packages don't belong in the system profile,
19 and in cases such as this the administrator should be making the choices,
20 not the system profile.
21
22 I would rather see stacked profiles:
23
24 server
25 server/apache1
26 server/apache2
27
28 etc... With the "server" profile being a bare bones system profile.
29
30 But anything would be better than the current bizarro desktop profile, chock
31 full of crap.
34 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list