From: Kirk Hoganson <kirk2@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] mysql 4.1 status
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 01:59:52
1 As someone responsible for dozens of production Gentoo boxes, I would
2 personally love to see more stable options, not perhaps the Debian
3 extreme, but something better suited to a production server environment.
4 I appreciate devs who take to the time to make sure an upgrade isn't
5 going to break someone's infrastructure. I have personally had some
6 issues with minor security upgrade ebuilds breaking my systems of late.
7 With something like MySQL it is better to be late than early.
8
9 Kirk
10
11 Sancho2k.net Lists said the following:
12 > dormando wrote:
13 >
14 >>Mind me; I haven't read up on the bugs, and this is probably a dumb
15 >>place to admit this.
16 >>
17 >>MySQL (to me) is an one of those instances where different major
18 >>versions of the software serve almost different purposes. In this case I
19 >> believe debian got it right by having the default be the oldest
20 >>supported stable release, while more recent stable versions are
21 >>available by non-default.
22 >>
23 >>Just a note, don't get too peeved,
26 > It's a good observation, but a little bit apples and oranges. Debian is
27 > *always* going to err on the side of being far out of date if it means
28 > that there is more stability to gain. Not true for Gentoo. ;)
29 >
30 > DS
31 --
32 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list