From: Jens Gutzeit <jens@×××××××.at>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Web hosting for 75k+ users
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 15:06:04
1 On Tuesday 09 March 2004 10:04, Gerhard Just Olsen wrote:
2
3 > Should I use qmail or postfix and why?
4
5 I would suggest postfix, not because of some benchmarks, there are just too
6 many that say different things, but in my opinion postfix is just a more
7 modern mail server, with qmail you might run into trouble with a lot of
8 bounces, because qmail doesn't reject during smtp conversation.
9
10 > What about antispam and antivirus? Any suggestions/experiences?
11
12 We use amavisd-new here, together with spamassassin. We just
13 reject .com, .exe, etc... so we realy don't need an AV, if this isn't an
14 option to you, you might want to look at clamav, or if money issn't such a
15 big problem the products of centralcommand, they work pretty well, and the
16 support is really good.
17
18 > Dos anyone have any experience useig nagios? Is there any other network
19 > management system you have used/ found useful?
20
21 We use nagios here, the configuration is hard, but it works well.
22
23 > What about storage? Dos anyone have any experience here? I want southing
24 > that is linux/gentoo based and redundant.
25
26 I had used drbd some time ago, to build an HA cluster, haven't had any
27 problems with it, but you need a fast ethernet connection between the 2
28 boxes, gigabit ethernet for example.
29
30 > The users is currently on a imail system so I have to migrate them form
31 > there. Has anyone don this before?
32 >
33 > I have some experience using squirrel web mail. Any suggestions here?
34
35 No, squirrelmail is good, I suggest to use turck-mmcache or s.th. like that to
36 speed up PHP.
37
38 > I plan to use the wiki to document the apps that I use. It should be the
39 > natural place for something like that.
40
41 same here. But it's an internal wiki :-(
42
43 Jens