From: Luca Longinotti <chtekk@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] postgresql 8.1.4, pgpool-3.0.1
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 11:27:43
1 Tomek Lutelmowski wrote:
2 > On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 16:49:45 -0800, Lord Sauron wrote
3 >> On 11/5/06, Tomek Lutelmowski <tomek@×××××.pl> wrote:
4 >>> Does anybody has any issues when switching to PostgreSQL 8.1 or pgpool
5 > 3.x ?
6 >>> I see PostgreSQL has threading support since 8.1, could you tell how does
7 > it
8 >>> affect performance?
9
10 As far as we're aware of PostgreSQL does not have threading support. The
11 postgresql server is non-threaded (as opposed to MySQL which for example
12 is fully threaded). The threads support we're talking about here only
13 matters for the PgSQL libraries, so they are threadsafe and can be
14 included/used in other threaded applications, for example PHP.
15 New ebuilds for libpq/postgresql are on the way that will correctly
16 reflect this, only libpq will have a "threads" USE flag.
17 Also, you can use 8.1.4 without problems, it's just not stable yet
18 because we hadn't time to test it fully and ask for it to be stabled.
19 8.1.5 will probably become stable during the next month/weeks.
20 --
21 Best regards,
22 Luca Longinotti aka CHTEKK
23