From: Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] postgresql 8.1.4, pgpool-3.0.1
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 16:42:17
1 > Tomek Lutelmowski wrote:
2 > > On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 16:49:45 -0800, Lord Sauron wrote
3 > >> On 11/5/06, Tomek Lutelmowski <tomek@×××××.pl> wrote:
4 > >>> Does anybody has any issues when switching to PostgreSQL 8.1 or pgpool
5 > > 3.x ?
6 > >>> I see PostgreSQL has threading support since 8.1, could you tell how does
7 > > it
8 > >>> affect performance?
9 >
10 > As far as we're aware of PostgreSQL does not have threading support. The
11 > postgresql server is non-threaded (as opposed to MySQL which for example
12 > is fully threaded). The threads support we're talking about here only
13 > matters for the PgSQL libraries, so they are threadsafe and can be
14 > included/used in other threaded applications, for example PHP.
15 > New ebuilds for libpq/postgresql are on the way that will correctly
16 > reflect this, only libpq will have a "threads" USE flag.
17 > Also, you can use 8.1.4 without problems, it's just not stable yet
18 > because we hadn't time to test it fully and ask for it to be stabled.
19 > 8.1.5 will probably become stable during the next month/weeks.
20
21 This is correct. Here is a recent thread from the postgresql mailing list discussing a similar
22 question about threading versus creating new proccesses for additional connections:
23
24 http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2006-10/msg01427.php
25
26 As I understand it, newer releases of postgresql are continually improved to handle load balancing
27 between multiple processors.
28
29 Regards,
30