From: Robert Larson <robert@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] manging windows
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 23:22:41
1 On Friday 17 February 2006 03:35 pm, Paul Kölle wrote:
2 > Robert Larson wrote:
3 > > I have a system setup using OpenLDAP combined with Cyrus-SASL and Heimdal
4 > > kerberos. I have tied samba into it, and will eventually setup samba-tng
5 > > as an authentication head for samba. With samba, I may use NTLM
6 > > authentication to include more options for SSO.
7 >
8 > Why do you need samba-tng?
9 The first reason I will be going with TNG is to accommodate a growing network,
10 essentially taking the task of serving files off of the same piece of
11 software that authenticates all network NTLM requests. The second is
12 security, I don't want any authentication to be performed on any hosts
13 housing "user" services.
14
15 I know that I could probably just use samba for this, but my understanding is
16 that samba-tng aims to provide authentication mechanisms that are beyond the
17 general samba file serving crowd. This excerpt from
18 http://www.samba-tng.org/faq.html will support the general idea:
19
20 "Samba-TNG is somewhat more advanced in terms of protocol support, although
21 Samba is catching up and may be ahead in some areas. If you want an NT
22 domain controller running with an LDAP backend, optionally integrated with
23 your LDAP-based Unix user database, you probably want to use Samba-TNG. Samba
24 has some experimental support for this, but Samba-TNG has had it working for
25 much longer so it is more mature."
28 > > The way my setup works is samba has access to use LDAP for accounting and
29 > > simple binds (over SSL/TLS). Unfortunately, samba doesn't support
30 > > kerberos based authentication "(yet)".
31 >
32 > To be a bit more specific, samba(3) cannot hand tickets to windows
33 > clients (yet) ;)
34 Exactly, though, I haven't really looked into samba 4 yet. Hmm, it seems like
35 that may be my answer to that problem...
38 > In this setup, the users sign on to their
39 >
40 > > desktop, and the same login is used to access network shares without
41 > > prompt for another password (this happens by default on most windows
42 > > desktops) using NTLM.
43 >
44 > So this is a normal windows domain with a samba PDC?
45 Pretty much, although, it may be closer to a workgroup with one share machine
46 (file server) performing NTLM based authentication. I tried to keep it
47 simple, especially since not all of our clients are domain ready (only those
48 utilizing XP home edition to name a few).
49
50 > > Various applications using SPEGNO/GSSAPI can provide autologin
51 > > functionality using this same login if we chose to implement something to
52 > > that effect, but that depends entirely on the applications we might use.
53 > > For example, IE and Firefox support SPEGNO/GSSAPI, so enabled web
54 > > applications may use this to authenticate the client without additional
55 > > credentials.
56 >
57 > As long as you don't get tickets for your (windows) clients, this is out
58 > of scope.
59 >
60 > cheers
61 > Paul
62 >
63 > BTW: Does anyone know a site tracking security flaws for kernel 2.6 and
64 > the relevant fixes?
65 Have you tried kerneltrap.org? There's always securityfocus.com... Perhaps
66 you're looking for is something different. If you find it, let me know. =)
67
68 Thanks for the feedback, Paul!
71 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list