From: "Paul Kölle" <pkoelle@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] manging windows
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 21:30:22
1 Robert Larson wrote:
2 > I have a system setup using OpenLDAP combined with Cyrus-SASL and Heimdal
3 > kerberos. I have tied samba into it, and will eventually setup samba-tng as
4 > an authentication head for samba. With samba, I may use NTLM authentication
5 > to include more options for SSO.
6 Why do you need samba-tng?
9 > The way my setup works is samba has access to use LDAP for accounting and
10 > simple binds (over SSL/TLS). Unfortunately, samba doesn't support kerberos
11 > based authentication "(yet)".
12 To be a bit more specific, samba(3) cannot hand tickets to windows
13 clients (yet) ;)
14
15 In this setup, the users sign on to their
16 > desktop, and the same login is used to access network shares without prompt
17 > for another password (this happens by default on most windows desktops) using
18 > NTLM.
19 So this is a normal windows domain with a samba PDC?
22 > Various applications using SPEGNO/GSSAPI can provide autologin functionality
23 > using this same login if we chose to implement something to that effect, but
24 > that depends entirely on the applications we might use. For example, IE and
25 > Firefox support SPEGNO/GSSAPI, so enabled web applications may use this to
26 > authenticate the client without additional credentials.
27 As long as you don't get tickets for your (windows) clients, this is out
28 of scope.
29
30 cheers
31 Paul
32
33 BTW: Does anyone know a site tracking security flaws for kernel 2.6 and
34 the relevant fixes?
39 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list