From: Robert Larson <robert@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] manging windows
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 17:49:00
1 On Thursday 16 February 2006 02:05 pm, Steven Williamson wrote:
2 > Does anybody mange a windows network from linux specifically gentoo?
3 > What software do you use to achive this. Im mostly interessted in achiveing
4 > single sign on with LDAP
5 > and controlling access to samba servers. But im also looking for
6 > possibilites regarding managing software deployment.
7 > I have had a brief look at unattended (on sourceforge) anyone any experince
8 > with this? or similar set-ups?
9
10 I have a system setup using OpenLDAP combined with Cyrus-SASL and Heimdal
11 kerberos. I have tied samba into it, and will eventually setup samba-tng as
12 an authentication head for samba. With samba, I may use NTLM authentication
13 to include more options for SSO.
14
15 The way my setup works is samba has access to use LDAP for accounting and
16 simple binds (over SSL/TLS). Unfortunately, samba doesn't support kerberos
17 based authentication "(yet)". In this setup, the users sign on to their
18 desktop, and the same login is used to access network shares without prompt
19 for another password (this happens by default on most windows desktops) using
20 NTLM.
21
22 Various applications using SPEGNO/GSSAPI can provide autologin functionality
23 using this same login if we chose to implement something to that effect, but
24 that depends entirely on the applications we might use. For example, IE and
25 Firefox support SPEGNO/GSSAPI, so enabled web applications may use this to
26 authenticate the client without additional credentials. Another example may
27 be squid, as it provides NTLM authentication mechanisms.
28
29 Even if kerberos or NTLM authentication isn't possible I can still integrate
30 other services such as pam, Jabber, samba, AND Outlook addressbook into LDAP
31 using SSL/TLS and simple binds. This makes my setup more of a flexible
32 centralized authentication system, than simply an SSO server. In the end, it
33 all comes down to what auth mechanisms the apps you're using support in your
34 ability to perform SSO.
35
36 I have referenced a lot of these links for my setup. With them, there should
37 be enough information to create a setup truly exact to your needs:
38
39 Centralized authentication howtos:
40 http://www.openinput.com/auth-howto/
41 http://www.bayour.com/LDAPv3-HOWTO.html
42
43 Samba (TNG) and authentication:
44 http://www.mami.net/univr/tng-ldap/howto/
45 http://www.deschner.de/gd/dual_samba.html
46 http://www.mami.net/univr/tng-ldap/howto/sambausermapping.html
47 http://www.samba-tng.org/docs/tng-arch/tng-arch.html
48
49 Other misc resources:
50 http://acctsync.sourceforge.net/
51 http://www.cmf.nrl.navy.mil/CCS/people/kenh/kerberos-faq.html
52 "Making the big boys play nice..." (one of my favorites)
53 http://pgina.xpasystems.com/?page_id=3
56 In a sense, I have been trying to work toward SSO for a while. There are still
57 many things that require a password on our network though. By centralizing
58 authentication, I feel that I am one step closer. Anyway, I hope this helps.
59
60 Regards,
63 Robert Larson
66 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list