From: Georges Toth <georges@××××.lu>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Cc: Robert Larson <robert@×××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] manging windows
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 18:26:27
1 Hi,
2
3 Thanks for that description and links.
4 I guess I will play with SSO sometime soon :-).
5
6 > I have a system setup using OpenLDAP combined with Cyrus-SASL and Heimdal
7 > kerberos. I have tied samba into it, and will eventually setup samba-tng
8 > as an authentication head for samba. With samba, I may use NTLM
9 > authentication to include more options for SSO.
10 >
11 > The way my setup works is samba has access to use LDAP for accounting and
12 > simple binds (over SSL/TLS). Unfortunately, samba doesn't support kerberos
13 > based authentication "(yet)". In this setup, the users sign on to their
14 > desktop, and the same login is used to access network shares without prompt
15 > for another password (this happens by default on most windows desktops)
16 > using NTLM.
17 >
18 > Various applications using SPEGNO/GSSAPI can provide autologin
19 > functionality using this same login if we chose to implement something to
20 > that effect, but that depends entirely on the applications we might use.
21 > For example, IE and Firefox support SPEGNO/GSSAPI, so enabled web
22 > applications may use this to authenticate the client without additional
23 > credentials. Another example may be squid, as it provides NTLM
24 > authentication mechanisms.
25 >
26 > Even if kerberos or NTLM authentication isn't possible I can still
27 > integrate other services such as pam, Jabber, samba, AND Outlook
28 > addressbook into LDAP using SSL/TLS and simple binds. This makes my setup
29 > more of a flexible centralized authentication system, than simply an SSO
30 > server. In the end, it all comes down to what auth mechanisms the apps
31 > you're using support in your ability to perform SSO.
32 >
33 > I have referenced a lot of these links for my setup. With them, there
34 > should be enough information to create a setup truly exact to your needs:
35 >
36 > Centralized authentication howtos:
37 > http://www.openinput.com/auth-howto/
38 > http://www.bayour.com/LDAPv3-HOWTO.html
39 >
40 > Samba (TNG) and authentication:
41 > http://www.mami.net/univr/tng-ldap/howto/
42 > http://www.deschner.de/gd/dual_samba.html
43 > http://www.mami.net/univr/tng-ldap/howto/sambausermapping.html
44 > http://www.samba-tng.org/docs/tng-arch/tng-arch.html
45 >
46 > Other misc resources:
47 > http://acctsync.sourceforge.net/
48 > http://www.cmf.nrl.navy.mil/CCS/people/kenh/kerberos-faq.html
49 > "Making the big boys play nice..." (one of my favorites)
50 > http://pgina.xpasystems.com/?page_id=3
53 > In a sense, I have been trying to work toward SSO for a while. There are
54 > still many things that require a password on our network though. By
55 > centralizing authentication, I feel that I am one step closer. Anyway, I
56 > hope this helps.
57 >
58 > Regards,
61 > Robert Larson