From: Andrea Ferraris <andrea_ferraris@××××××.it>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] RAID0 sw on top of RAID1 sw or RAID1 on top of RAID0
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 19:39:51
1 > Why do you want a single raid0 over 2 raid1 (Raid10) instead of one
2 > raid1 over 2 raid0 (Raid01)? Greater survivability.
3 >
4 > Here is the potential setups:
5 >
6 > Raid01:
7 > md0 (raid0): sda1 sdb1
8 > md1 (raid0): sdc1 sdd1
9 > md2 (raid1): md0 md1
10 >
11 > Raid10:
12 > md0 (raid1): sda1 sdb1
13 > md1 (raid1): sdc1 sdd1
14 > md2 (raid0): md0 md1
15 >
16 > If sda1 fails:
17 > raid01: md0 also fails (sdb now has garbage data), so md2 relies on
18 > md1 for all data. If sdc or sdd fail, md1 will fail and all data is lost.
19 > raid10: md0 keeps going by relying on sdb. If sdc or sdd fail md1
20 > will still function and thus md2 will continue to function.
21 >
22 > With 2 disks failing there are 6 possible combinations (ab, ac, ad, bc,
23 > bd, cd). With raid01 there is only a 33% chance of avoiding data loss
24 > (ab, cd). With raid10 there is 67% chance of avoiding data loss (ac,
25 > ad, bc, bd).
26
27 Thx very much. It's really clear.
28 But I was thinking about performance. I thought that was a performance
29 concern, instead it is about reliability.
30
31 And what about performance? There are differencies between raid01
32 and raid10?
33
34 Thx again and regards,
35