From: Joby Walker <zorloc@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] RAID0 sw on top of RAID1 sw or RAID1 on top of RAID0
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 19:02:09
1 Why do you want a single raid0 over 2 raid1 (Raid10) instead of one
2 raid1 over 2 raid0 (Raid01)? Greater survivability.
3
4 Here is the potential setups:
5
6 Raid01:
7 md0 (raid0): sda1 sdb1
8 md1 (raid0): sdc1 sdd1
9 md2 (raid1): md0 md1
10
11 Raid10:
12 md0 (raid1): sda1 sdb1
13 md1 (raid1): sdc1 sdd1
14 md2 (raid0): md0 md1
15
16 If sda1 fails:
17 raid01: md0 also fails (sdb now has garbage data), so md2 relies on
18 md1 for all data. If sdc or sdd fail, md1 will fail and all data is lost.
19 raid10: md0 keeps going by relying on sdb. If sdc or sdd fail md1
20 will still function and thus md2 will continue to function.
21
22 With 2 disks failing there are 6 possible combinations (ab, ac, ad, bc,
23 bd, cd). With raid01 there is only a 33% chance of avoiding data loss
24 (ab, cd). With raid10 there is 67% chance of avoiding data loss (ac,
25 ad, bc, bd).
26
27 jbw
28
29 Andrea Ferraris wrote:
30
31 >>From: "Joby Walker" <zorloc@××××××××.org>
32 >>Andrea Ferraris wrote:
35 >>>>Other way around. A stripe set of 2, 2disk mirrors is the winner, but I
36 >>>
37 >>>
38 >>>Sorry I have some problems with the language (I'm not a native speaker,
39 >>>neither well understander ;-)
40 >>>Is it raid0 on top of 2 raid1?
41 >>>
42 >>>