From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Re: Xen Dom0 using kernel 3.0
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 09:05:54
1 On Mon, August 15, 2011 8:18 am, Pandu Poluan wrote:
2 > On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 02:29, Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >> On Sunday, August 14, 2011 07:20:18 PM Pandu Poluan wrote:
4 >>> On 2011-08-14, Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> (Sorry for top-posting. Gmail Java mobile client sucks.)
7 >>
8 >> (Fixed this for you)
9 >>
10 >>> I was thinking of something similar to XCP ... but with Gentoo as the
11 >>> Dom0. I'll call it GeDZux (Gentoo Domain Zero Linux) :P
12 >>
13 >> A different name would be prefered by myself, not got an idea yet
14 >> though.
17 > No worry. I know it sounds too... wishy-washy/unserious.
18 >
19 > Had originally wanted to call it "Xentoo", but some might mistake it
20 > for Xen2, or worse Xen 2.0.
21 >
22 > Ah well... We'll think of something later :-)
23
24 Xentoo doesn't sound too bad, actually.
25
26 >>> The problem would be how to 'streamline' the installation of a
27 >>> GeDZux-based Xen Platform. The SysAdmin already has lots of things to
28 >>> think about; he/she doesn't need to think (too much) about which USE
29 >>> flags to use, what CFLAGS to put in, which packages to emerge
30 >>> *initially*, etc.
31 >>
32 >> I agree, tools to quickly generate/close new domUs based on templates
33 >> would
34 >> help as well. With different options for where the disks are stored:
35 >> - File
36 >> - LVM
37 >> - physical partitions
38 >
39 > By domU here, do you mean Gentoo domU's or general domU's?
40
41 Any domU. As far as I am aware, any domU can be configured to use any
42 block-backend for the partitions/drives.
43
44 > Citrix XenServer's 'template' feature comes to mind...
45
46 Along with cloning/copying/export/....?
47 VMWare ESX has similar options.
48
49 >>> That is, how to provide sensible defaults yet not irreversibly
50 >>> removing Gentoo's freedom. So, GeDZux will be a Gentoo variant, a
51 >>> 'submetadistro', if you will :P
52 >>
53 >> A profile putting all the necessary tools (xen, kernel, bridge,....) as
54 >> required.
55 >
56 > Aha! Good idea. Let me learn how to make a profile then.
57
58 That way we can also set default USE-flags suitable for when using Xen.
61 Joost