From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Re: Xen Dom0 using kernel 3.0
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 06:19:45
1 On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 02:29, Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Sunday, August 14, 2011 07:20:18 PM Pandu Poluan wrote:
3 >
4 >> Rgds,
5 >>
6 >> On 2011-08-14, Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
7 >> > On Saturday, August 13, 2011 04:15:44 PM Pandu Poluan wrote:
8 >> >> So, anyone have any experience using kernel 3.0 as Xen Dom0?
9 >> >
10 >> > Not yet, it is in the todo-list though.
11 >> > Just waiting for a period where I can do the upgrade and afford a
12 >> > down-time with restoring backups if things go wrong.
13 >> >
14 >> >> (I have some idea of starting a Gentoo-variant-based Xen platform in
15 >> >> the vein of XCP/XenServer)
16 >> >
17 >> > What exactly are you thinking of implementing?
18 >> >
19 >
20 >> (Sorry for top-posting. Gmail Java mobile client sucks.)
21 >
22 > (Fixed this for you)
23 >
24 >> I was thinking of something similar to XCP ... but with Gentoo as the
25 >> Dom0. I'll call it GeDZux (Gentoo Domain Zero Linux) :P
26 >
27 > A different name would be prefered by myself, not got an idea yet though.
30 No worry. I know it sounds too... wishy-washy/unserious.
31
32 Had originally wanted to call it "Xentoo", but some might mistake it
33 for Xen2, or worse Xen 2.0.
34
35 Ah well... We'll think of something later :-)
36
37 >> The problem would be how to 'streamline' the installation of a
38 >> GeDZux-based Xen Platform. The SysAdmin already has lots of things to
39 >> think about; he/she doesn't need to think (too much) about which USE
40 >> flags to use, what CFLAGS to put in, which packages to emerge
41 >> *initially*, etc.
42 >
43 > I agree, tools to quickly generate/close new domUs based on templates would
44 > help as well. With different options for where the disks are stored:
45 > - File
46 > - LVM
47 > - physical partitions
50 By domU here, do you mean Gentoo domU's or general domU's?
51
52 Citrix XenServer's 'template' feature comes to mind...
53
54 >> That is, how to provide sensible defaults yet not irreversibly
55 >> removing Gentoo's freedom. So, GeDZux will be a Gentoo variant, a
56 >> 'submetadistro', if you will :P
57 >
58 > A profile putting all the necessary tools (xen, kernel, bridge,....) as
59 > required.
62 Aha! Good idea. Let me learn how to make a profile then.
63
64 Rgds,
65 --
66 FdS Pandu E Poluan