From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Re: Xen Dom0 using kernel 3.0
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 19:30:48
1 On Sunday, August 14, 2011 07:20:18 PM Pandu Poluan wrote:
2
3 > Rgds,
4 >
5 > On 2011-08-14, Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
6 > > On Saturday, August 13, 2011 04:15:44 PM Pandu Poluan wrote:
7 > >> So, anyone have any experience using kernel 3.0 as Xen Dom0?
8 > >
9 > > Not yet, it is in the todo-list though.
10 > > Just waiting for a period where I can do the upgrade and afford a
11 > > down-time with restoring backups if things go wrong.
12 > >
13 > >> (I have some idea of starting a Gentoo-variant-based Xen platform in
14 > >> the vein of XCP/XenServer)
15 > >
16 > > What exactly are you thinking of implementing?
19 > (Sorry for top-posting. Gmail Java mobile client sucks.)
20
21 (Fixed this for you)
22
23 > I was thinking of something similar to XCP ... but with Gentoo as the
24 > Dom0. I'll call it GeDZux (Gentoo Domain Zero Linux) :P
25
26 A different name would be prefered by myself, not got an idea yet though.
27
28 > Okay, more seriously: Since Dom0 must be as efficient as possible, I
29 > personally think Gentoo should be one of the best.
30
31 With Dom0 only containing the bare minimum to function, yes, I would agree.
32
33 > The problem would be how to 'streamline' the installation of a
34 > GeDZux-based Xen Platform. The SysAdmin already has lots of things to
35 > think about; he/she doesn't need to think (too much) about which USE
36 > flags to use, what CFLAGS to put in, which packages to emerge
37 > *initially*, etc.
38
39 I agree, tools to quickly generate/close new domUs based on templates would
40 help as well. With different options for where the disks are stored:
41 - File
42 - LVM
43 - physical partitions
44
45 > That is, how to provide sensible defaults yet not irreversibly
46 > removing Gentoo's freedom. So, GeDZux will be a Gentoo variant, a
47 > 'submetadistro', if you will :P
48
49 A profile putting all the necessary tools (xen, kernel, bridge,....) as
50 required.
51
52 > Just some daydream, please don't flame or ridicule me :)
53
54 Apart from the name, I think it's a good idea and I would be willing to work
55 on this as well.
58 Joost