From: David Wuertele <dave-gnus@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Re: linux-2.6.8-gentoo-r3 .config for RAID5, help?
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 00:27:19
1 Chris> Out of interest, what mountpoint is /dev/md0? /home?
2
3 It is /mnt/md0.
4
5 Then I do:
6 ln -s /mnt/md0/usr to /usr
7 ln -s /mnt/md0/var to /var
8 ln -s /mnt/md0/home to /home
9 ln -s /mnt/md0/tmp to /tmp
10
11 This actually caused problems, because some of the links in /usr/bin
12 were to ../../sbin/xyz, but since /usr/bin/../.. is actually /mnt/md0,
13 these links didn't resolve right.
14
15 I wish I knew a better way, but I want to have /usr, /var, and /home
16 all be on the same huge partition. I don't want to bust up my 1.5TB
17 partition just for a /usr and /var, and I don't have enough space on
18 my / partition for both of them.
19
20 Chris> What did you do to compile your kernel?
21
22 make && modules_install
23
24 Chris> Did you use genkernel --menuconfig all?
25
26 No, I didn't realize it was necessary. Is that how genkernel figures
27 out what modules to put in the initrd? If that's the case, I could go
28 back to using modules.
29
30 Chris> Can you post your bootloader config?
31
32 I'm appending my current .config and my /boot/grub/grub.conf
33
34 Chris> Run make menuconfig. Under Device Drivers
35 Chris> --->ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support ---> there is an option in the
36 Chris> kernel: [*] Boot off-board chipsets first support
37 Chris> make that static, and it will boot your via controller first
38 Chris> (ie make it /dev/hda)
39
40 I don't understand --- doesn't this FORCE my PCI IDE controller to be
41 first?
42
43 I have one final question:
44
45 Now that I've gone out and bought two more dual-bus IDE controllers,
46 how do I know which disk was in which order in the RAID5 chain so that
47 I can get the chain back again after all the drive names change?
48
49 Thanks,
50 Dave

.config application/octet-stream