From: Chris Smart <taskara@××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Re: linux-2.6.8-gentoo-r3 .config for RAID5, help?
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 23:27:23
1 On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 05:29 am, David Wuertele wrote:
2 > Thanks to Chris Smart, I now have a bootable kernel!
3 >
4 > The New Behavior:
5 >
6 > The kernel gets as far as mounting /dev/hda1 on /newroot, and it
7 > appears to raidstart /dev/md0, but /dev/md0 doesn't have a
8 > superblock. When I looked around, I discovered that all the drives
9 > on my PCI IDE controller are not discovered.
10 >
11 > Since the LiveCD uses the siimage module, I tried compiling with
12 > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SIIMAGE=y. But after doing this, the problem is that
13 > my hda is not discovered properly.
14 >
15 > My guess was that the PCI IDE controller was somehow messing up the
16 > device order. Since the LiveCD boot uses siimage as a module, I
17 > tried compiling the kernel with CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SIIMAGE=m.
18 >
19 > But now the kernel doesn't discover the PCI IDE controller's drives.
20 > The module isn't getting loaded. When I typed "modprobe siimage;
21 > raidstart /dev/md0; mount /dev/md0 /mnt/md0" everything worked fine.
22
23 Hey again,
24 this is what I was talking about - you needed to have the driver for your pci
25 ide controller statically in your kernel too.
26
27 then all your devices should be detected (/dev/hde/f/g/h etc..) which means
28 then linux raid can check the IDs on your raid partitions and auto mount them
29 for you.
30
31 Out of interest, what mountpoint is /dev/md0? /home?
32
33 > The new problem:
34 >
35 > I generate initrd using "genkernel initrd". The resulting initrd
36 > doesn't seem to be loading the siimage module during boot.
37 >
38 > When I compile the siimage driver in permanently (not as a module),
39 > the drive order gets messed up (that's just a HYPOTHESIS).
40
41 What did you do to compile your kernel?
42
43 Did you use genkernel --menuconfig all?
44
45 Can you post your bootloader config?
46
47 > The new question:
48 >
49 > How can I get siimage to load early enough for raid to properly
50 > start, but late enough that it doesn't mess up the drive order?
51
52 Run make menuconfig.
53 Under Device Drivers --->ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support ---> there is an option
54 in the kernel:
55 [*] Boot off-board chipsets first support
56
57 make that static, and it will boot your via controller first (ie make
58 it /dev/hda)
59
60 > Thanks,
61 > Dave