From: Kerin Millar <kerin@×××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Compiling mod_php with postgresql support without emerging postgres ?
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 13:37:09
1 > Eventually I emerge both (mod_php & postgresql) and unmerged postgresql
2 > afterwards.
3 >
4 > Is that the way to do it ? Suggestions ?
5
6 I gather that you should unset the postgres flag thereafter also, at least
7 for the mod_php ebuild. You can define flags on a per-package basis in
8 /etc/portage/package.use. If you do not do so, then portage may wish to
9 install PostgreSQL again during future updates.
10
11 My preferred approach would have been to pre-build a binary package which
12 is then distributed to the target host(s). One could then emerge --usepkg
13 mod_php, where the postgres flag remains permanently disabled on the
14 target host(s) in the manner described above.
15
16 Of course, if your installation was a one-off then it isn't really a
17 significant issue and, indeed, there is nothing wrong with your approach
18 in any case.
19
20 Regards,
21