From: Ben Munat <bent@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] linux-headers
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 16:59:02
1 Great. This sounds like a major disaster in the making. I'm glad I asked... but I wonder
2 how many people running a 2.4 kernel have just hosed their systems?
3
4 One interesting thing: The version grid for linux-headers on packages.gentoo.org now shows
5 version 2.4.22-r1 as the latest available version. The two 2.6 versions are hard masked:
6
7 http://packages.gentoo.org/search/?sstring=linux-headers&sourceid=mozilla-search
8
9 However, I just synced again and emerge still wants to upgrade my linux headers to
10 2.6.8.1-r2... even though the website lists this as hard masked!
11
12 As far as the make.profile stuff goes, do I have to change to the 2005.0 profile? I was
13 never trying to upgrade to a new profile; I just thought it odd that portage wanted to
14 emerge what sounded like the wrong headers package for my system (and it turns out I was
15 right). I just looked and I'm actually still pointing at the 2004.0 profile. Is this bad?
16
17 As for rebuilding packages after emerging linux-headers, I don't want to emerge
18 linux-headers! Really nice one-liner there though.
19
20 So, I'm figuring I should mask >=linux-headers-2.5 like Sri suggested. But I suppose that
21 still leaves me with the question as to what to do about my make.profile. Is it important
22 to change that with each new release? (And if so, shouldn't portage remind me if it's so
23 important?) What are people running for their make.profile?
24
25 Thanks,
26
27 Ben
30 Kerin Millar wrote:
31 > Ben Munat wrote:
32 >
33 >> So, you are saying that it is fine to go ahead and emerge
34 >> "linux-headers-2.6.8.1-r2" even though I'm running an old 2.4 kernel
35 >> (with gss sources, no less)?
38 > Definitely not. It is safe to build applications against 2.4 headers and
39 > to run those applications with a 2.6 kernel. The reverse is not the
40 > case. There is no specific requirement for you to switch your
41 > make.profile at this time. But, in order to protected yourself against
42 > future developments, I'd suggest that you do something like this
43 > (assuming x86 arch):
44 >
45 > # cd /etc
46 > # rm make.profile
47 > # ln -s ../usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2005.0/2.4 make.profile
48 >
49 > That should solve the problem (judging by the amount of misguided
50 > questions I've seen on IRC, I'm surprised that this hasn't been made
51 > clearer). If you need to make any futher customisations to the profile
52 > then you should either override it or augment it with a further
53 > "cascade" in a PORTDIR_OVERLAY.
54 >
55 > Aside from all of this, when you change your system headers then it is
56 > probably not a bad idea to rebuild any packages that you have installed
57 > which are affected by the headers. glibc is by far the most important,
58 > but this one-liner will handle the lot (it won't upgrade anthing though):
59 >
60 > # ls /var/db/pkg/*/*/*.ebuild | xargs grep -l virtual/os-headers | cut
61 > -d "/" -f 5,6 | egrep -v "linux(26)?\-headers" | sed -e "s/\(.*\)/=\1/"
62 > | xargs emerge --oneshot
63 >
64 > Regards,
65 >