From: Kerin Millar <kerin@×××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] linux-headers
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 17:35:47
1 Ben Munat wrote:
2 > Great. This sounds like a major disaster in the making. I'm glad I
3 > asked... but I wonder how many people running a 2.4 kernel have just
4 > hosed their systems?
5
6 Well yes, I suppose it would be pretty bad if you were to inadvertently
7 install 2.6 headers and later build glibc against them while still
8 continuing to run a 2.4 kernel :o
9
10 > One interesting thing: The version grid for linux-headers on
11 > packages.gentoo.org now shows version 2.4.22-r1 as the latest available
12 > version. The two 2.6 versions are hard masked:
13 >
14 > http://packages.gentoo.org/search/?sstring=linux-headers&sourceid=mozilla-search
17 > However, I just synced again and emerge still wants to upgrade my linux
18 > headers to 2.6.8.1-r2... even though the website lists this as hard masked!
19
20 That's easy - the website is wrong ;) 2.6.8.1-r2 is not masked at all
21 (this change was made very recently in accordance with the 2005.0
22 release). Basically, 2.6 kernels are now the default on some arches in
23 the stock 2005 profile.
24
25 > As far as the make.profile stuff goes, do I have to change to the 2005.0
26 > profile? I was never trying to upgrade to a new profile; I just thought
27 > it odd that portage wanted to emerge what sounded like the wrong headers
28 > package for my system (and it turns out I was right). I just looked and
29 > I'm actually still pointing at the 2004.0 profile. Is this bad?
30
31 No, not really. Just bear in mind that one day the profile you're using
32 will disappear from portage whereupon it will whine at you. Thus, a
33 change will be necessitated.
34
35 > As for rebuilding packages after emerging linux-headers, I don't want to
36 > emerge linux-headers! Really nice one-liner there though.
37
38 Sure.
39
40 > So, I'm figuring I should mask >=linux-headers-2.5 like Sri suggested.
41 > But I suppose that still leaves me with the question as to what to do
42 > about my make.profile. Is it important to change that with each new
43 > release? (And if so, shouldn't portage remind me if it's so important?)
44 > What are people running for their make.profile?
45
46 No, it's not overly important in many cases, at least for x86 arch.
47 Conversely, it's not advisable to remain on a deprecated profile for too
48 long. If you poke around in the profile, you'll see that its task is
49 mainly to establish such things as default USE flags, packages that
50 constitute the "system" set, minimum acceptable package versions thereof
51 , default virtuals (i.e. what does it choose if you emerge something
52 that depends on virtual/kernel and no suitable ebuild has been emerged)
53 etc. All in all, this defines a baseline policy for how gentoo is built
54 and "evolved" and one would generally do well to follow the bottom line
55 there I suspect. I still haven't shifted from the 2004.3 profile on my
56 server but will do so shortly.
57
58 If you use the profile I suggested then you shouldn't have to mask
59 anything, although I'm not certain that the sources you are using are
60 restricted as you would wish (see
61 /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2005.0/2.4/packages). As I
62 mentioned before, you could rectify that eventuality by either
63 overriding the "packages" file in a PORTDIR_OVERLAY or by adding your
64 own sub-directory under 2.4 (again, in a PORTDIR_OVERLAY) and
65 restricting the scope of the sources (gss-sources, was it?) there. In th
66 e latter case, you'd need to make sure that make.profile pointed to the
67 sub-directory that you defined. Or you could just use package.mask as
68 per usual. In any case, understanding the profile mechanism and how to
69 customise it is a useful asset to have in terms of Gentoo management.
70
71 To explain futher, remember that profiles are cascaded. So, for example,
72 the 2.4 profile isn't defined by just the three files you see there.
73 Files from parent directories are also inherited/overridden as
74 necessary. As with anything else in the portage tree, any aspect can be
75 augmented or overriden in a local overlay so it makes for quite a
76 flexible system.
77
78 HTH,
79