From: Eric G Ortego <eric@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Dell 1655mc
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 23:48:16
1 Chris Smart wrote:
2
3 >Ahhh IC...
4 >
5 >Well then you need to perhaps create your own gentoo boot cd, that can load
6 >the correct usb - scsi - cdrom drivers at boot.
9 yay!
10
11 >That first link I sent you should help.
14 If I had an x86 gentoo system from which to follow those instructions
15 and build a livecd I'm sure those instructions would help, emerge doesnt
16 work on the redhat box and naturaly nothing I build on my g4 ppc
17 macintosh laptop would run on a p3 x86 dell 1655mc.
18
19 UnitedLinux boots it, redhat boots it, suse boots it, trustix boots it
20 windows 2000, and 2k3 boot it, but gentoo *FAILS.*
21 I tend to hope that the gentoo-server project aims to compete in the
22 server market.
23
24 >Failing that, threaten the server! ;)
29 I't already has Redhat 9 on it what should I do put the win2k server cd
30 back in it?
31
32 >Good luck
33 >
34 >-----Original Message-----
35 >From: Eric G Ortego [mailto:eric@×××××××××.org]
36 >Sent: Wednesday, 21 January 2004 9:59 AM
37 >To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
38 >Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Dell 1655mc
42 >Chris Smart wrote:
46 >>Hmm.. can you open the Dell, or is it still under warranty?
51 >Both
55 >>If you can open it, then you could install a temporary cdrom drive.
61 >There is no feasible way to install a temporary cdrom drive, its a
62 >bladeserver.
66 >>If you can buy or borrow a 64mb or higher usb stick, you could use this
67 >>distro, flonix, that I just found on the net.
68 >>
69 >>http://linuxdocs.tuxfamily.org/flonix/index.php
70 >>
71 >>It is designed to run from a usb disk - you could boot to this (like
72 >>knoppix) and install gentoo from there..
73 >>
74 >>Just a thought :)
79 >And A swell one. I certianly need to get a usbstick for occasions like
80 >this but this is not a solution at the moment.
84 >>-----Original Message-----
85 >>From: Eric G Ortego [mailto:eric@×××××××××.org]
86 >>Sent: Wednesday, 21 January 2004 9:49 AM
87 >>To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
88 >>Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Dell 1655mc
92 >>Chris Smart wrote:
98 >>>Hi Eric,
99 >>>
100 >>>Perhaps this may help you on the forum
101 >>>
102 >>>http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=57754&highlight=boot+usb+disk
103 >>>
104 >>>it's a "Build your own Gentoo install / boot / rescue USBStick"
105 >>>
106 >>>I think to get your usb cd to work on boot, you need to tell the right
107 >>>modules to load at the beginning.. which won't happen on most distribution
108 >>>cds.
109 >>>
110 >>>You could make your own gentoo boot usb stick, and install gentoo from
111 >>>
112 >>>
113 >>>
114 >>>
115 >>that.
120 >>>It's kind of diving in head first :) but the forums are very good.
121 >>>
122 >>>Anyway, perhaps reading the thread will spark some ideas.
123 >>>
124 >>>Chris
125 >>>
126 >>>
127 >>>
128 >>>
129 >>>
130 >>>
131 >>Thanks, I do have an existing gentoo install, unfortunatly its on my
132 >>laptop which is a ppc not a P3.
133 >>And I don't have a pen drive just this cursed cdrom.
139 >>>-----Original Message-----
140 >>>From: Eric G Ortego [mailto:eric@×××××××××.org]
141 >>>Sent: Wednesday, 21 January 2004 9:39 AM
142 >>>To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
143 >>>Subject: [gentoo-server] Dell 1655mc
144 >>>
145 >>>Has anyone any information on installing gentoo on a Dell Poweredge
146 >>>
147 >>>
148 >1655mc?
151 >>>My problem is that these servers don't have ide or scsi floppy or cdrom
152 >>>drives.
153 >>>
154 >>>It has just one usb 1.0 plug which I *can* boot the live cd from, but
155 >>>*all* the cd's(knoppix too) fail to find the cdrom device when It comes
156 >>>time.
157 >>>I've tryed PXE booting to start the install but I only have a redhat
158 >>>server to work from and for me thats like pulling my own teeth with a
159 >>>claw hammer.
160 >>>
161 >>>Someone mentioned having to pass arguments to the kernel at boot , I
162 >>>have tryed nohotplug , hdc=ide-scsi , hdc=/dev/scd0 , and several others
163 >>>without success.
164 >>>
165 >>>HELP I really really need to be redhat ridden, I suck at rpm's and
166 >>>don't care to waste the rest of my week learning them enough to remove
167 >>>RH to install gentoo.
168 >>>
169 >>>--
170 >>>Eric