From: Chris Ripp <chris@××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] disk failure
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 13:46:59
1 It's absolutely possible. The disk itself hasn't really *failed* although
2 its probably on its way, you just got some corruption that the journaling
3 couldn't correct. While its mounted RO, fsck it. This could also be
4 related to other issues like bad cables or worse a flaky drive controller.
5 Although you'd probably see issues on the other partitions then. You
6 might consider turning down your hdparm settings also.
7
8 This happens to me from time to time on my laptop's HD. It started when
9 the MB went flaky, and I never re-installed gentoo after it was replaced.
10 A quick fsck and its fixed for a while.
11
12 Of course if key parts of your glibc are corrupted thats a different
13 matter :( I'd try re-emerging after the fsck just to be sure.
14
15 > Hi,
16 > 1h ago on my server partition with / was remounted readonly - its hda1
17 > - because disk failure I think.
18 > There is somthing in dmesg:
19 > EXT3-fs error: (device hda1) in start_transaction: Journal has aborted
20 > /tmp is also on hda. When I try to write on / it says it's readonly,
21 > but on /tmp it writes successfully.
22 > Is it possible that failure of hard disk is only on one partition?? or
23 > is it some kind of software failure? All other disks, those heavyly
24 > used too, are still working. On / I have whole gentoo with logs, /tmp
25 > is on hda2, swap is on hda4 but it wasn't used much and it still
26 > works.
27 > This failure happend while glibc was qmerged to filesystem... :/
28 > please help
29 >
30 > --
31 > gentoo-server@g.o mailing list