From: Jonas Fietz <info@××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] anyone deploy Gentoo as production servers
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 20:27:58
1 Ramon van Alteren wrote:
2 > Gentoo wrote:
3 >> so , do you have "build server" for all of those 200 systems?
4 >
5 > Yep several :-)
6 >
7 > A server-image server for building install images. We deploy customized
8 > stage4 tarballs for installation and are in process of moving that over
9 > to pxe-bootable install with custom stage4 tarball based on
10 > hardware/serverfunction. We currently use boot-cd's which gets to be a
11 > bit of a pain.
12 Well, what we do is, we have a fairly static image on the boot-cds, and
13 the most recent stage4 is pulled over the net. PXE was only workable
14 with a few hassles (we are using standard hardware, most of the time
15 cheapest you can get), for example you always have the problem of the
16 server reinstalling when rebooting or alike.
17 This has worked quite well, although we are in a setting, where we have
18 to setup >100 servers for just one weekend, effectively reinstalling
19 them every time (rented).
20
21 Greetings,
22