From: Gentoo <debiansid@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] anyone deploy Gentoo as production servers
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 22:10:26
1 is there any doc about how to setup "build server"?
2
3 On 9/9/06, Jonas Fietz <info@××××××××××.de> wrote:
4 >
5 > Ramon van Alteren wrote:
6 > > Gentoo wrote:
7 > >> so , do you have "build server" for all of those 200 systems?
8 > >
9 > > Yep several :-)
10 > >
11 > > A server-image server for building install images. We deploy customized
12 > > stage4 tarballs for installation and are in process of moving that over
13 > > to pxe-bootable install with custom stage4 tarball based on
14 > > hardware/serverfunction. We currently use boot-cd's which gets to be a
15 > > bit of a pain.
16 > Well, what we do is, we have a fairly static image on the boot-cds, and
17 > the most recent stage4 is pulled over the net. PXE was only workable
18 > with a few hassles (we are using standard hardware, most of the time
19 > cheapest you can get), for example you always have the problem of the
20 > server reinstalling when rebooting or alike.
21 > This has worked quite well, although we are in a setting, where we have
22 > to setup >100 servers for just one weekend, effectively reinstalling
23 > them every time (rented).
24 >
25 > Greetings,
26 >