From: "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] server advice
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 15:43:16
1 Ben Munat wrote:
2 > Hello. I just set up my first gentoo system at home and I like it so
3 > much that I rented a rack space with gentoo preinstalled (just a
4 > stage3 from the liveCD) . I want to go ahead and start installing
5 > stuff but thought I should seek advice from the experts first.
6 >
7 > What would folks recommend for USE flag settings for a web server? I'm
8 > figuring on at least -kde, -gnome, but beyond that I'm kind of
9 > confused. Do I need to do "-<flag>" for all the flags that I won't use
10 > (alsa and other audio stuff, all X stuff, cups and any other printing
11 > stuff, etc.)? If you're running a webserver and could share your USE
12 > flags with me, that would be much appreciated.
13 >
14 > I'm also figuring on setting the CFLAGS to a conservative setting,
15 > like CFLAGS="-02 -march=pentium4 -pipe". Anything else I should
16 > include for a server?
17 >
18 > Any and all thoughts would be appreciated.
19 >
20 > Ben
21
22 Emerge "ufed" and use that program to set your USE flags.
23
24 Also, I like these settings for my CFLAGS:
25
26 CFLAGS="-Os -pipe -march=pentium4 -funroll-loops"
27 CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -fmemoize-lookups -fsave-memoized"
28
29 The CXXFLAGS variable doesn't play well with KDE and Qt because of its
30 preprocess work with moc (it just produces lots of warnings complaining that
31 the additional directives are only valid for C++ ... which Qt is ...).