From: Ben Munat <bent@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] server advice
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 22:37:22
1 Hello. I just set up my first gentoo system at home and I like it so
2 much that I rented a rack space with gentoo preinstalled (just a stage3
3 from the liveCD) . I want to go ahead and start installing stuff but
4 thought I should seek advice from the experts first.
5
6 What would folks recommend for USE flag settings for a web server? I'm
7 figuring on at least -kde, -gnome, but beyond that I'm kind of
8 confused. Do I need to do "-<flag>" for all the flags that I won't use
9 (alsa and other audio stuff, all X stuff, cups and any other printing
10 stuff, etc.)? If you're running a webserver and could share your USE
11 flags with me, that would be much appreciated.
12
13 I'm also figuring on setting the CFLAGS to a conservative setting, like
14 CFLAGS="-02 -march=pentium4 -pipe". Anything else I should include for
15 a server?
16
17 Any and all thoughts would be appreciated.
18
19 Ben