From: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] server advice
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 00:59:12
1 On Sat, Jan 10, 2004 at 02:39:01PM -0800 or thereabouts, Ben Munat wrote:
2 > What would folks recommend for USE flag settings for a web server? I'm
3 > figuring on at least -kde, -gnome, but beyond that I'm kind of
4 > confused. Do I need to do "-<flag>" for all the flags that I won't use
5 > (alsa and other audio stuff, all X stuff, cups and any other printing
6 > stuff, etc.)? If you're running a webserver and could share your USE
7 > flags with me, that would be much appreciated.
8
9 Start with:
10
11 USE="-*
12
13 and tack on those USE flags that you want.
14
15 For Gentoo, most of our servers use:
16
17 USE="-* ncurses ssl crypt berkdb tcpd pam xml perl python mmx snmp"
18
19 Those may not all be necessary for you, however.
20
21 --kurt