From: Ben Munat <bent@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Need help installing Apache with PHP on our server
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 16:46:24
1 Hello Ronald,
2
3 If you're still very new to gentoo, it would be worth your time to read up a bit on how
4 gentoo does things. It's not quite like any other distro. :-)
5
6 Here's the section of the handbook on portage, use flags, etc.:
7
8 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=1
9
10 And here's a link to a shorter unofficial explanation of the basics of the emerge command:
11
12 http://learn.clemsonlinux.org/wiki/Gentoo:emerge
13
14 Also, the man pages for emerge, make.conf are pretty thorough.
15
16 One thing that it is very important to point out to you is that gentoo has recently
17 switched from the old dev-php/php ebuild to a new dev-lang/php ebuild that allows one to
18 install php and mod-php in one emerge (among other benefits). So, you should definitely be
19 using dev-lang/php.
20
21 Also, that dev-lang/php ebuild will go straight to php-5.* unless you tell it to stick
22 with 4.*. You do that by putting an entry in /etc/portage/package.mask (you might need to
23 create that file) like this ">=dev-lang/php-5". That means "mask anything greater than or
24 equal to php-5".
25
26 If you have any problems, definitely post them here!
27
28 b
29
30 Ronald Vazquez wrote:
31 > Hello:
32 >
33 > I am having a bit of trouble installing Apache-2.0.XX with PHP-4.X on
34 > our Gentoo server using the emerge system. I have done multiple times
35 > (from source) on Red hat, SuSE, Slackware, and others but have never
36 > used the emerge functionality. I guess part of the problem is that I am
37 > not yet familiar with the options to be used with the emerge system.
38 >
39 > Could some one please guide me to a good source of documentation or
40 > HowTo detailing the Apache/PHP/MySQL setup on Gentoo Linux? Perhaps a
41 > Gentoo/Apache/PHP/MySQL for dummies. ;-) I am very excited about using
42 > Gentoo and perhaps making it my main OS after using Slackware for 15 years.
43 >
44 > Thanks in advance,
45 > Ronald Vazquez
46 --