From: Luca Longinotti <chtekk@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] postgres blockage
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 12:56:02
1 Jason Stubbs wrote:
2 > Assuming that above two packages are all that're needed, you should be able to
3 > get it around it manually with the following commands.
4 >
5 > # emerge --oneshot --nodeps dev-db/libpq
6 > # emerge --oneshot dev-db/postgresql
7 >
8 > However, I wouldn't do it while the server is running in production (even if
9 > there was no block).
10
11 The upgrade should actually be possible with PostgreSQL running, as the
12 blockers are there only to catch a little collision-protect problem (a
13 binary was moved from postgresql to libpq) and to warn about the pg-hier
14 USE flag disappearance. Pasting from a forums thread:
15
16 "Well, the blocker was added for the simple reason of file-collisions.
17 With the new libpq/postgresql versions we've moved a file from the
18 postgresql package to the libpq package. Now, you have to emerge libpq
19 BEFORE postgresql, so when Portage was installing libpq it would bail
20 out with a "file collision found, blabla" error. The only way we have of
21 notifying the user of this is by adding a blocker.
22 The easiest and most correct way to upgrade would be this:
23 Code:
24
25 FEATURES="-collision-protect" emerge --nodeps libpq
26 emerge postgresql
27
28 The first one basically emerge libpq without checking for blockers and
29 disables the file-collision check, so that the new libpq will install
30 correctly, and then you can normally upgrade postgresql itself (which
31 you MUST do, both really *must* be upgraded!). "
32
33 That should work and update your PostgreSQL install correctly.
34 --
35 Best regards,
36 Luca Longinotti aka CHTEKK
37