From: Ben Munat <bent@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] postgres blockage
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 21:24:52
1 Luca Longinotti wrote:
2 > The upgrade should actually be possible with PostgreSQL running, as the
3 > blockers are there only to catch a little collision-protect problem (a
4 > binary was moved from postgresql to libpq) and to warn about the pg-hier
5 > USE flag disappearance. Pasting from a forums thread:
6 >
7 > "Well, the blocker was added for the simple reason of file-collisions.
8 > With the new libpq/postgresql versions we've moved a file from the
9 > postgresql package to the libpq package. Now, you have to emerge libpq
10 > BEFORE postgresql, so when Portage was installing libpq it would bail
11 > out with a "file collision found, blabla" error. The only way we have of
12 > notifying the user of this is by adding a blocker.
13 > The easiest and most correct way to upgrade would be this:
14 > Code:
15 >
16 > FEATURES="-collision-protect" emerge --nodeps libpq
17 > emerge postgresql
18 >
19 > The first one basically emerge libpq without checking for blockers and
20 > disables the file-collision check, so that the new libpq will install
21 > correctly, and then you can normally upgrade postgresql itself (which
22 > you MUST do, both really *must* be upgraded!). "
23 >
24 > That should work and update your PostgreSQL install correctly.
25
26 Yeah, I found that thread last night and followed the instructions. The
27 emerge went fine, and postgres appeared to restart just fine... but when
28 I tried to connect I discovered that it wasn't actually running!
29
30 Well, long story short, I discovered a stale lock file in /tmp. The
31 screwy thing was that the init.d script kept saying "ok" even though
32 postgres wasn't actually running. That's a pretty bad bug, if you ask
33 me, but I'm not a dev so...
34
35 If anyone tries this, watch out for stale postgres lock files... in /tmp
36 and starting with ".s.blah". I would have had only a few seconds of down
37 time if I'd known that... and not much more than that if the init script
38 had done it's job.
39
40 b
41 --