From: "paul kölle" <pkoelle@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] postgres blockage
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 23:02:52
1 Ben Munat schrieb:
2 > Well, long story short, I discovered a stale lock file in /tmp. The
3 > screwy thing was that the init.d script kept saying "ok" even though
4 > postgres wasn't actually running. That's a pretty bad bug, if you ask
5 > me, but I'm not a dev so...
6 Unfortunately you cannot trust the output of /etc/init.d/<servicename>,
7 start-stop-daemon plain sucks and lies in your face. I often resort to
8 ugly hacks using ps and grepping for (hopefully) unique strings and
9 writing a valid pidfile myself.
10 There are various solutions (daemontools, supervisor) which run the
11 started program as a childprocess..., of course the init scripts need to
12 be rewritten for those...
13
14 cheers
15 Paul