From: Ben Munat <bent@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] interesting occurence
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 16:09:23
1 Unfortunately, this is my only server -- handling several live sites and
2 email -- and I don't have the funds to rent another server while I
3 figure out what's up with this. I will, however, talk to the hosting
4 company... not sure what they could do but...
5
6 The machine -- a celeron 1.8 gHz, I believe -- had a basic gentoo system
7 on it when we rented it, and then I emerged all the apps I wanted. So, I
8 didn't set up the partitions or the filesystems. Here's the fstab:
9
10 /dev/hda1 /boot ext2 noauto,noatime 1 1
11 /dev/hda3 / reiserfs noatime 0 0
12 /dev/hda2 none swap sw 0 0
13
14 Haven't seen any other filesystem glitches, but it was inaccessible for
15 a bit last week. (That could have been the whole hosting company
16 though.) Maybe there was a hard crash around then.
17
18 Well, I dunno... I appreciate your advice. Was hoping, however, that
19 someone one the list had actually heard of this sort of thing occuring.
20 I'll talk to the hosting company... maybe they'll just move me to
21 another machine to be safe.
22
23 Ben
26 Jonathan S. Romero wrote:
27 > That's fairly high in the scary meter. I would be surprised if the
28 > problem lies with qmail.
29 > I would reccomend taking the system down for testing, including long cpu
30 > tests, and memory stability tests, from a liveCD.
31 >
32 > What filesystem were you using again? Any RAID configuration, special
33 > processor settings? It really looks like the filesystem got messed up
34 > somehow.
35 >
36 > -Jonathan S. Romero
37 >
38 > Ben Munat wrote:
39 >
40 >> Not sure what you mean "maildir style names"... the names of the files
41 >> were random bits of (I believe) a single email. So, the file listing
42 >> looked something like this:
43 >>
44 >> root@foo>ls
45 >> somerealfile.txt
46 >> myrealpackage.tgz
47 >> been meaning to call and talk to him but I
48 >> anotherrealfile.jpg
49 >> the other day. So, Bob was saying that I could probably get a
50 >> anotherfile
51 >> etc.
52 >>
53 >> This isn't an actual listing... I deleted the files already. They were
54 >> empty files and their names were seemingly random bits of text.
55 >> However, I recognized pieces of that text to have come from an email
56 >> that my Aunt sent me a while back.
57 >>
58 >> Very strange.
59 >>
60 >> Ben
63 >> Jonathan S. Romero wrote:
64 >>
65 >>> Did the files have maildir style names?
66 >>>
67 >>> -Jonathan
68 >>>
69 >>> Ben Munat wrote:
70 >>>
71 >>>> Here's a weird occurence that has me stumped. Logged into my gentoo
72 >>>> server and did an "ls" in root's home directory. Mixed in with all
73 >>>> the files I expected in there were a number of empty text files...
74 >>>> and here's the strange part: the names of the files were random
75 >>>> snippets from an email that I received a while back!
76 >>>>
77 >>>> Now, if I remember correctly, that email was actually routed to
78 >>>> root, so I guess at least the email that got sliced up into file
79 >>>> names did come from root's maildir... it didn't come from somewhere
80 >>>> else on the system. But I had thrown that email away a long time
81 >>>> ago... though, I haven't done an "ls" in root's home dir in a while,
82 >>>> so I'm not sure how long the files have been there.
83 >>>>
84 >>>> Well, I'm running qmail... anyone have any ideas how text from a
85 >>>> mail file gets scattered around as names of files?
86 >>>>
87 >>>> Ben
88 >>>>
89 >>>