From: "Jonathan S. Romero" <jonnyro@××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] interesting occurence
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 13:36:40
1 That's fairly high in the scary meter. I would be surprised if the
2 problem lies with qmail.
3
4 I would reccomend taking the system down for testing, including long cpu
5 tests, and memory stability tests, from a liveCD.
6
7 What filesystem were you using again? Any RAID configuration, special
8 processor settings? It really looks like the filesystem got messed up
9 somehow.
10
11 -Jonathan S. Romero
12
13 Ben Munat wrote:
14
15 > Not sure what you mean "maildir style names"... the names of the files
16 > were random bits of (I believe) a single email. So, the file listing
17 > looked something like this:
18 >
19 > root@foo>ls
20 > somerealfile.txt
21 > myrealpackage.tgz
22 > been meaning to call and talk to him but I
23 > anotherrealfile.jpg
24 > the other day. So, Bob was saying that I could probably get a
25 > anotherfile
26 > etc.
27 >
28 > This isn't an actual listing... I deleted the files already. They were
29 > empty files and their names were seemingly random bits of text.
30 > However, I recognized pieces of that text to have come from an email
31 > that my Aunt sent me a while back.
32 >
33 > Very strange.
34 >
35 > Ben
38 > Jonathan S. Romero wrote:
39 >
40 >> Did the files have maildir style names?
41 >>
42 >> -Jonathan
43 >>
44 >> Ben Munat wrote:
45 >>
46 >>> Here's a weird occurence that has me stumped. Logged into my gentoo
47 >>> server and did an "ls" in root's home directory. Mixed in with all
48 >>> the files I expected in there were a number of empty text files...
49 >>> and here's the strange part: the names of the files were random
50 >>> snippets from an email that I received a while back!
51 >>>
52 >>> Now, if I remember correctly, that email was actually routed to
53 >>> root, so I guess at least the email that got sliced up into file
54 >>> names did come from root's maildir... it didn't come from somewhere
55 >>> else on the system. But I had thrown that email away a long time
56 >>> ago... though, I haven't done an "ls" in root's home dir in a while,
57 >>> so I'm not sure how long the files have been there.
58 >>>
59 >>> Well, I'm running qmail... anyone have any ideas how text from a
60 >>> mail file gets scattered around as names of files?
61 >>>
62 >>> Ben
63 >>>