From: Ben Munat <bent@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] prioritising security updates
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 16:05:21
1 Yogesh Sharma wrote:
2 >
3 > 3. emerge -np `qpkg -I -nc` is my version of -uD which I checks for
4 > all installed packed including those are missed by -uD.
5
6 Thanks Yogesh. I understand the difference between the commands. In my case, the
7 combination of emerge and qpkg didn't find anything that -uD was missing, probably because
8 this home machine is a fresh reinstall (disk died).
9
10 What I thought was strange was that, even though both commands returned the same exact
11 list of packages to update, they were in a different order. I suppose that this was
12 because qpkg is just supplying command line args to emerge, and if the packages don't have
13 dependencies on each other, emerge is happy to do them in the order they appear on the
14 command line. Not sure what would determine the order that -uD gets...
15
16 Thanks again for the tip though; hadn't thought to use qpkg as input to emerge and hadn't
17 noticed that -n switch on emerge.
18
19 b
20 --