From: Yogesh Sharma <ysharma@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] prioritising security updates
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 15:41:30
1 Hi,
2
3 1. emerge -p world is basic emerge, it checks only packages written to
4 world file.
5
6 2. emerge -puD world is better then emerge -p as it does deep scan.
7
8 --update (-u)
9 Updates packages to the best version available, which
10 may not
11 always be the highest version number due to masking for
12 testing
13 and development. This will also update direct
14 dependencies
15 which may not be what you want. In general, use this
16 option
17 only in combination with the world or system target.
18
19 --deep (-D)
20 When used in conjunction with --update, this flag forces
21 emerge
22 to consider the entire dependency tree of packages,
23 instead of
24 checking only the immediate dependencies of the packages.
25 As an
26 example, this catches updates in libraries that are not
27 directly
28 listed in the dependencies of a package."
29
30 3. emerge -np `qpkg -I -nc` is my version of -uD which I checks for
31 all installed packed including those are missed by -uD.
32
33 Thanks
34 YS
35
36 Ben Munat wrote:
37
38 > Yogesh Sharma wrote:
39 >
40 >> Hi,
41 >>
42 >> I usually do :
43 >>
44 >> emerge -np `qpkg -I -nc`
45 >>
46 >> once verified I do:
47 >>
48 >> emerge -n `qpkg -I -nc`
49 >>
50 >> or emerge individual package from -p output.
53 > This is pretty cool... thanks.
54 >
55 > One interesting thing though: currently on my home machine, doing:
56 >
57 > emerge -np `qpkg -I -nc`
58 >
59 > or
60 >
61 > emerge -p world
62 >
63 > or
64 >
65 > emerge -puD world
66 >
67 > brings up three different orders for the list of packages to emerge.
68 > The "-p world" has fewer packages, but the other two have the same
69 > number but in different orders. I suppose that might just mean that
70 > order's not really significant in this case.
71 >
72 > b
77 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list