From: Jeremy Kitchen <kitchen@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Compiling mod_php with postgresql support without emerging postgres ?
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 14:39:58
1 On Friday 16 July 2004 08:52 am, tvanscoy@××××××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > > That's a good point - libphp4.so probably does dynamically link to the
3 > > object provided by postgresql :/
4 > >
5 > > I suppose one could ensure the necessary library is present alone, but
6 > > one would need to pay closer attention to the update process. I suspect
7 > > it is a battle not worth fighting!
8
9 > I'm new to prelinking so correct me if I'm wrong, but would prelinking the
10 > postgresql libraries to libphp4.so serve a purpose? As long as he doesn't
11 > change the mod_php install you won't need to worry about the postgres
12 > headers anymore.
13
14 you're thinking statically linking the binaries at compile time. I'm sure php
15 built from source supports this, but I highly doubt it's possible with
16 gentoo's ebuild unless you modify it accordingly.
17
18 At any rate, statically linked or not, you'll want to upgrade php
19 periodically, and each time you'll have to have postgresql installed for it
20 to happen. Why not just install postgresql and not start it?
21
22 -Jeremy
25 Jeremy Kitchen ++ Systems Administrator ++ Inter7 Internet Technologies, Inc.
26 jeremy@××××××.com ++ www.inter7.com ++ 866.528.3530 ++ 847.492.0470 int'l
27 kitchen @ #qmail #gentoo on EFnet ++ scriptkitchen.com/qmail