From: Michael Pruitt <michaelp@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Compiling mod_php with postgresql support without emerging postgres?
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 14:58:31
1 On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 09:39:51AM -0500, Jeremy Kitchen wrote:
2 > At any rate, statically linked or not, you'll want to
3 > upgrade php periodically, and each time you'll have to have
4 > postgresql installed for it to happen. Why not just install
5 > postgresql and not start it?
6
7 I, too, have this problem. Having postgresql installed but not
8 started just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe I'm just
9 anal about having packages installed that I don't really need,
10 but would it not be possible to have a libpostgres package?
11
12 My memory is fuzzy, but I recall that installing
13 dev-libs/libsqlora8 was sufficient for some other package
14 which I needed Oracle8 support compiled into....
15
16 My kludge of a solution was to install postgresql, install
17 mod_php, touch the postgres libraries to prevent removal,
18 unmerge postgresql, then inject postgres. This kept the
19 libraries (emerge doesn't unmerge stuff that doesn't match
20 its manifest), allowed for future upgrades/prevents gentoo
21 from trying to emerge it again (gentoo thinks the package is
22 installed), and didn't leave unnecessary stuff installed (all
23 of the client/docs/other crap) on my production boxen. As a
24 safeguard, I keep the compiled packages.
25
26 Regards,
27 Michael Pruitt