From: Christian Bricart <christian@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] delay init of firewire
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 17:39:58
1 Jason Harley wrote:
2 > To get around this issue I usually create /etc/modules.d/network to
3 > ensure that each network device gets loaded as the device I expect.
4
5 Yepp, that's the usual way to do that...
8 > Assuming (for the sake of example) that you have an Intel-based card, a
9 > Realtek-based card and the IEEE1394-device, the file might look
10 > something like this:
11 >
12 > # /etc/modules.d/network - ensure expected init. of network devices
13 > alias eth0 e100
14 > alias eth1 8139too
15 > alias eth2 eth1394
16
17 correct... done that with my modules..
20 > After you've made the file, run 'modules-update' and you should begin to
21 > see the behaviour you expect without having to pull any "hotplug
22 > voodoo".
23
24 ack, "modules-update" merged those entries into /etc/modules.conf and
25 /etc/modprobe.conf..
26
27 Alas, this aliasing only works for (e.g. scripts) doing things like:
28 # modprobe eth0
29 But hotplug does something like "let me look into lspci and grep for
30 ids; look them up in my "module-for-pci-id-map" and modprobe the module
31 *by name*.
32 Now in my case the module "eth1394" gets modprobed prior to any regular
33 network module and thus occupies the eth0 slot...
34 Any module loaded afterwards can't get the first eth (i.e. eth0) as it's
35 already occupied by the firewire module...
36
37 So the only chance I see right now is to blacklist the module in
38 /etc/hotplug/blacklist so it does not get autoprobed.
39 As soon as some application however would try to access eth3 later on,
40 the kernel would modprobe it via the alias definition in
41 /etc/modprobe.conf.. and this works (actually it *should* work - haven't
42 tried)
43
44 Christian
48 > Cheers,
49 > ./JRH
50 > --
51 > Jason Harley < jharley at oanda dot com >
52 > Systems Administrator
53 > OANDA Corporation
54 >