From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: Gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Traffic Control subtleties: 802.11g overhead & tc bandwidth calculation
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 02:43:57
1 Hello list!
2
3 I am planning to deploy a GLGF (Gentoo Linux Gateway/Firewall -- a
4 term I just made up). Now, I'm also supposed to put in some traffic
5 management in it. But there are some subtleties I'd like to clarify
6 first.
7
8 1. tc bandwidth measurement
9
10 Does tc measure bandwidth based on the wire speed (e.g., datagram size
11 + L4 header + IP header + L2 header), or effective throughput speed
12 (datagram only)?
13
14 2. Wireless 802.11g overhead
15
16 Related to the above. The link I'm having to traffic-managed is a
17 point-to-point link (a pair of dish antennae) using 802.11g. LOS
18 exists, Fresnel clear. Distance is approx. 200 meters.
19
20 With this near-ideal situation, what's the expected overhead against
21 the 802.11g's theoretical max of 54 Mbps?
22
23 Thank you beforehand for any input.
24
25 Rgds,