From: Matt Thode <mthode@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Traffic Control subtleties: 802.11g overhead & tc bandwidth calculation
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 03:28:44
1 I don't know about tc, but for wireless overhead in general I've come to expect about 50% of the theoretical max.
2
3 -- Matthew Thode
4
5 On Aug 9, 2011, at 9:43 PM, Pandu Poluan wrote:
6
7 > Hello list!
8 >
9 > I am planning to deploy a GLGF (Gentoo Linux Gateway/Firewall -- a
10 > term I just made up). Now, I'm also supposed to put in some traffic
11 > management in it. But there are some subtleties I'd like to clarify
12 > first.
13 >
14 > 1. tc bandwidth measurement
15 >
16 > Does tc measure bandwidth based on the wire speed (e.g., datagram size
17 > + L4 header + IP header + L2 header), or effective throughput speed
18 > (datagram only)?
19 >
20 > 2. Wireless 802.11g overhead
21 >
22 > Related to the above. The link I'm having to traffic-managed is a
23 > point-to-point link (a pair of dish antennae) using 802.11g. LOS
24 > exists, Fresnel clear. Distance is approx. 200 meters.
25 >
26 > With this near-ideal situation, what's the expected overhead against
27 > the 802.11g's theoretical max of 54 Mbps?
28 >
29 > Thank you beforehand for any input.
30 >
31 > Rgds,
36 > --
37 > --