From: Billy <billy@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] MySQL-4.1 and <- Max
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 16:24:33
1 Kashani wrote:
2 > http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/MySQL_Cluster_DB_Definition.html under
3 > DataMemory
4
5 I maybe wrong, but I didn't get that from reading that page.
6
7 The way I understand it, it allocates that amount of memory to hold
8 table records that are used in transactions and certain queries. Almost
9 like a cache, except the cluster uses it for it's "partition" of the table.
10
11 Says just two things about how big it needs to be:
12
13 [1] Thus it is necessary also to allocate memory to be able to handle
14 the largest transactions which are performed in the cluster.
15
16 [2] The default DataMemory size is 80MB. The minimum size is 1MB. There
17 is no maximum size, but in reality the maximum size has to be adapted so
18 that the process doesn't start swapping when using the maximum size of
19 the memory.
20
21 Further reading produced this:
22
23 http://mysql.mirror.nedlinux.nl/tech-resources/articles/storage-engine/part_2.html
24
25 While nodes keep their data entirely in memory for maximum performance,
26 the durability requirement of ACID transactions is maintained by the
27 cluster making sure that at least two nodes in each group have the a
28 copy of the data. On-disk "redo" logs are maintained for recovery
29 purposes., and each node requires sufficient disk space to store its
30 entire fragment for cold starts.
31
32 [This tells me that each node doesn't need to store the entire database,
33 just the portion of the database that's responsible for. The more nodes
34 you have, the less memory each node requires.]
35
36 Because MySQL Cluster is main-memory based it is extremely fast. MySQL
37 Cluster has good scalability by adding more memory and/or more nodes to
38 a configuration.