From: Kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] MySQL-4.1 and <- Max
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 16:02:45
1 On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Sancho2k.net Lists wrote:
2
3 > Another thing - MySQL's new cluster'd server technology (appropriately
4 > named MySQL Cluster) is available in the MySQL Max distribution. (For
5 > those who don't know, Max is basically the same thing as the standard
6 > MySQL server package, along with some not-quite-ready for common use
7 > functionality like the BDB table handler and such.) Now, MySQL-4.1.7 is
8 > available and the Max release has the Cluster components packaged in;
9 > has anything like the Max thing ever been available in Portage? It looks
10 > like the mysql ebuild is simply the standard Server package. Having a
11 > Max package would be nice in order to get ahold of the MySQL Cluster
12 > components.
13
14 I was interested in their cluster product until I read the fine
15 print. Your clustered database has to fit entirely into RAM on each
16 machine in the cluster. While this is actually useful for a number of
17 things like authenticating users, it's a major limitation if you want
18 general clustering and have databases larger than 2GB.
19
20 http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/MySQL_Cluster_DB_Definition.html under
21 DataMemory
22