From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] RAID
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 13:34:32
1 On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 07:54 -0500, Sean Cook wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > > They are all different questions:
6 > >
7 > > * Hardware RAID vs Software RAID
8 > > Hardware RAID offers more performance and often more sophisticated RAID
9 > > features.
10 That is debatable :-)
11 For really high-end systems hardware raid (3ware, SAN box, ...) is more
12 performant, but even on a modestly loaded Athlon64 you'll (usually) be
13 I/O limited before CPU limits become visible
14
15 > > Another advantage is that Hardware RAID controllers often offer you the
16 > > opportunity to extend your RAID array beyond the usual 4 SATA
17 > > interfaces. Depends on the card though.
18 I'm running a software raid spanned over 3 controllers ... I'm not aware
19 of a hardware-based solution that even comes close to that flexibility.
20
21 > Back in the day... we were running the LSI MegaRAID controllers with
22 > RAID 1 on 9gig SCSI disks, we were choking our application
23 > (mysql/mod_perl) we took the MegaRAID controller out and performance
24 > increased by about 25%. (note: this is a real world situation)
25 Even if this is anecdotal - my experience is very similar.
26 Software raid5 on an Athlon-1000 (basically a box of leftovers) takes
27 ~7% CPU to saturate a 100Mbit line. An older 3ware controller maxed out
28 at similar speeds, slightly lower CPU load - but adding more RAM and a
29 slightly faster CPU is in this case much cheaper and faster than buying
30 a new controller. Also changing controllers might not be possible
31 without wiping and rebuilding the array.
32
33 But if you need a disk array with maximum performance I'd still suggest
34 a hardware-based solution.
35 --
36 Stand still, and let the rest of the universe move