From: Ramon van Alteren <ramon@××××××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] RAID
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 14:23:33
1 Patrick Lauer wrote:
2
3 >On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 07:54 -0500, Sean Cook wrote:
7 >>Hash: SHA1
11 >>>They are all different questions:
12 >>>
13 >>>* Hardware RAID vs Software RAID
14 >>>Hardware RAID offers more performance and often more sophisticated RAID
15 >>>features.
16 >>>
17 >>>
18 >That is debatable :-)
19 >For really high-end systems hardware raid (3ware, SAN box, ...) is more
20 >performant, but even on a modestly loaded Athlon64 you'll (usually) be
21 >I/O limited before CPU limits become visible
24 It is, nearly everything surrounding performance on RAID is debatable.
25 Depends on your usage and controller and disk-types etc.
26 Dependant on what you do you might hit an I/O limit faster than an
27 CPU-limit.
28 Agreed.
29
30 >>>Another advantage is that Hardware RAID controllers often offer you the
31 >>>opportunity to extend your RAID array beyond the usual 4 SATA
32 >>>interfaces. Depends on the card though.
33 >>>
34 >>>
35 >I'm running a software raid spanned over 3 controllers ... I'm not aware
36 >of a hardware-based solution that even comes close to that flexibility.
39 How many disks can you put in ?
40 AFAIK most motherboard interfaces support 4 SATA disks
41
42 >>Back in the day... we were running the LSI MegaRAID controllers with
43 >>RAID 1 on 9gig SCSI disks, we were choking our application
44 >>(mysql/mod_perl) we took the MegaRAID controller out and performance
45 >>increased by about 25%. (note: this is a real world situation)
48 >Even if this is anecdotal - my experience is very similar.
49 >Software raid5 on an Athlon-1000 (basically a box of leftovers) takes
50 >~7% CPU to saturate a 100Mbit line. An older 3ware controller maxed out
51 >at similar speeds, slightly lower CPU load - but adding more RAM and a
52 >slightly faster CPU is in this case much cheaper and faster than buying
53 >a new controller. Also changing controllers might not be possible
54 >without wiping and rebuilding the array.
55 >
56 >But if you need a disk array with maximum performance I'd still suggest
57 >a hardware-based solution.
60 Me too :-)
61 But considering your comments, why ?
62
63 Grtz Ramon
66 To be stupid and selfish and to have good health are the three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, the others are useless.
67
68 Gustave Flaubert
74 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list