From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] RAID
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 14:39:52
1 On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 15:19 +0100, Ramon van Alteren wrote:
2 > >I'm running a software raid spanned over 3 controllers ... I'm not aware
3 > >of a hardware-based solution that even comes close to that flexibility.
4 > How many disks can you put in ?
5 > AFAIK most motherboard interfaces support 4 SATA disks
6 plop in another controller and it's +4 or more :-)
7 The onboard controllers are often cheap (SiL SATA) or broken (VIA
8 KT133), so usually you'll use a "known-good" PCI/PCIe controller to
9 avoid problems.
10
11 Right now the case (miditower) is limiting, but if I wanted I could get
12 a Promise TX4 for ~60Eur and add 4 SATA disks.
13
14 The really cool thing with software raid is that you can just stuff any
15 block device in and it'll work - mix SCSI, IDE, SATA, md - you can stack
16 raid1 over raid0 if you want.
17 Just label all disks so that you know which one just died ...
18
19 > >But if you need a disk array with maximum performance I'd still suggest
20 > >a hardware-based solution.
21 > Me too :-)
22 > But considering your comments, why ?
23
24 Looking at benchmarks I can see ~500M/s from good controllers - it'll be
25 hard to get the same level without dedicating a whole CPU to that. SAN
26 boxen have wonderful managment features and belong into the "just
27 work(tm)" category - each linux software raid will have to be
28 consciously put together.
29
30 A 4U box which plugs in to a SCSI or FC port costs ~5k Eur, the same as
31 Do-it-yourself costs ~1,5k, but you don't get a fully tested solution
32 that really works. You'll have to see what happens if you yank out a
33 disk or two, you'll have to configure monitoring, etc. etc.
34
35 Now if you are a company you'll pay a small premium just so that you
36 don't have to care about any technical details ... time is money :-)
37 --
38 Stand still, and let the rest of the universe move