From: Bryn Hughes <linux@×××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Backup Software
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 17:57:48
1 I've got bacula running in parallel to my Amanda install (using a
2 different tape drive obviously). So far I'm very happy with it. The
3 Bacula console beats the pants off the various utilities (amadmin,
4 amstatus, amcheck) used with Amanda - it's really nice to have them all
5 in one place.
6
7 The configuration was no more difficult than Amanda although there's a
8 lot to the config file. Bacula certainly seems to be more flexible -
9 for instance it doesn't have any trouble queueing jobs, something that
10 Amanda cannot do (it just fails the next job to try and start if one is
11 already running). Tape management seems to be much better and more
12 flexible as well - last night I had a job run out of tape and was able
13 to start up where I left off on a new tape as soon as one was
14 available.
15
16 I like the concept of separating everything into daemons that run
17 independently. Bacula has a director daemon which controls who is
18 doing what, a storage daemon which is the interface between bacula and
19 the tape drive and one or more file daemons which run on each machine
20 to be backed up. It can deal with multiple storage daemons and
21 multiple hosts. It appears you could use one director to back up
22 different servers to different tape devices connected to different
23 machines and still have one central location for managing it all -
24 that's the kind of thing I'm really interested in. Bacula does
25 apparently have a gui console although I haven't tried it yet. The
26 text-based console is sufficient for me and does everything I could
27 want it to do.
28
29 All in all I'd recommend bacula over amanda at this point. If you have
30 a large tape library you almost certainly want to use bacula. If
31 you've got a mixed environment (ie Solaris, Windows, Mac OS X, Linux,
32 etc) then bacula will definitely take care of everything for you.
33
34 Bryn