From: Bryn Hughes <linux@×××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Backup Software
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 19:12:32
1 I'm actually looking very closely at Bacula right now. Looks like it
2 can handle Win32 clients AND Mac OS X clients which is a definite
3 improvement over Amanda for me. Amanda can handle Win32 clients btw
4 using samba.
5
6 The GUI is pretty low on my priority list. Being able to support Mac
7 OS X clients is way more important to me than having a working GUI.
8
9 For those of you who haven't seen Bacula before here's a quick rundown
10 of what I've found out so far:
11
12 - Uses a MySQL database to record backup statistics, indexes, etc
13 - Can back up Unix/Linux/Windows/Mac clients over a network
14 - Can append to tapes and span multiple tapes
15 - Works with most tape devices
16 - Can back up to file or to tape
17 - Uses a modular configuration system which seems much better than
18 Amanda's
19 - Doesn't require xinetd/inetd (yay!)
20
21 The bacula home page is here:
22 http://www.bacula.org
23
24 Bacula seems to be much more flexible than Amanda. Barring any
25 insights from the list before I get home I'm going to set it up using a
26 spare DLT drive tonight and see how things go.
27
28 Bryn
29